Friday, March 11, 2011

when you see a chandelier you love that costs $4000, make one yourself!

My mom helped me duplicate a chandelier I saw online that I LOVED.  Well, we didn't totally duplicate it, but we used it as our inspiration.  Here is a link to the original... http://www.deannawish.com/ccbran_briarw.htm . I'm not sure how much it cost, but I've seen similar cost up to $4000, and I thought "I could totally do that!" So, my old brass chandelier got spray painted white, I cut some branches off the tree in my front yard, wired them on with the help of my mom and her designer eye, spray painted the whole thing and voila!  I think I love the result and it cost me less than $20 (spray paint isn't cheap and I used 5 cans). 

4 comments:

shelly tolman said...

kim i love this. it looks great!!! good job

Michelle Alley said...

You are fantastic Kim!

Anonymous said...

The chandelier is amazing! What did the original look like and what size was it? How large do the branches need to be and about how many do you need for this project? I would love to replicate one like this in a coral color for my kitchen to go with my coral red shaped cabinet pulls for a slight nautical feel for my navy husband.

Kimberly Harvey said...

Anonymous- I wish I'd taken a "before" pic, and some during the process, but it was just a basic brass chandelier. It looked like this... http://www.lightingdirect.com/forte-lighting-4006-up-lighting-chandeliers/p259118
But with 2 tiers of lights. I then went out to a tree in my yard that had interesting branches and cut off a BUNCH. I spray painted the chandelier white first, then we (my mom and I) just spent a few hours figuring out which branch was the right shape, size, etc., to go where, and cover up all the original arms of the chandelier. I used floral wire to wire them on to the chandelier. I made sure that as much of the center and arms were covered as possible, and chose branches that curved upward. Once I was satisfied with it I sprayed the whole thing with white spray paint. Since every lamp is different, and all branches are different, it's kind of like a puzzle that you just have to play with. Good luck! Post your pics if you end up making one! I'd love to see it!